Friday, June 19, 2009

The Perils of Perfectionism

I'm going to hit the ground running with my first "meaty" post.

I always knew that my perfectionism helped feed my state of mind. But, as with many things in our lives, it didn't seem to be a priority considering all of the other issues constantly thrown into any woman's life- children, jobs, partners, homes... However, four years ago, my state of mind forced its way to the top of my "to do" list, when I found myself sitting in the emergency room of the local hospital unable to stop crying, feeling panicky, overwhelmed, truly unable to control or help myself. It was the wake up call I needed to be proactive about making changes in my life, and recognizing that I needed help to make those changes.

Thinking back to that time makes me appreciate the progress that I have made. But, last weekend's conference helped me to acknowledge that I still have a journey ahead of me. I can never push my mental health to the back of my mind again. However, being the perfectionist that I am, I want to be "perfect" at helping myself which is going to get me nowhere. At the conference we learned to recognize that perfectionism isn't always a bad thing. It helped to get us where we are today. It gave us the drive to be successful at whatever we put our minds to. But, we also learned how to see when we had crossed the line into a state of unhealthiness where our lives were being compromised. It's one thing to have a neat, tidy home, but quite another to have your soup cans alphabetized, and your closet colour coordinated. We were also introduced to strategies that would help us to form a plan to balance our lives. Much focus was placed on taking baby steps when putting our individual plans into action. Otherwise, the vicious cycle of our perfectionism would take hold as we would set unrealistic goals, not be able to achieve the results we wanted, and then fall back into despair as we felt like we had failed.

At the end of the day, we were asked to sit in a circle to face each other so we could draw support from these women who knew exactly what we were thinking and feeling. We were handed a list of affirmations that we were to read every morning to keep our plans on track. These were not the typical affirmations that we were used to brainwashing ourselves with such as: I will be the best person that I can be today; I will prepare the best snack for play group today so that these parents know that I care about my child; I will go to the gym and run for two hours on the treadmill to lose those last five pounds, etc. The affirmations we were handed were giving us permission to be average. They allowed us to be human, to be imperfect, to be still. We each had to choose the one affirmation that touched us right now at this point in our lives, and then share the baby step we would take to give ourselves permission to be "not perfect".

"My main responsibility is to be true to myself- to be me". This was the affirmation that I chose. My baby step- I want to walk outside in the pouring rain and not care what my hair looks like". Although this brought a few chuckles, this was a milestone for me in showing that I didn't care what other people thought of me. I am on my way to leading the life that reflects the values and morals that I think are important, not what my neighbour, my friends, or the lady at the donut shop thinks are important. I am finally giving myself permission to be me.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I am not much of a writer - but hope to get my point here. You Joanne call yourself a perfectionist. I call myself as an organizer. Now after reading what you are writing here, I think this blog will help me too. I of course have taken my organizing skills to the next level and have my own business as a professional organizer (insert my webpage plug here lol www.getorganizedcanada.ca)
    Seems like we have some similar things with regards to our homes, I want my house organized and clean all the time. I don't have my soup cans in alphabetical order; however they are organized as far as what is inside. My clothes in my closet are put together according to colours.
    I don't think, well I know that being organized like this is not a bad thing, and having your getting kids organized is not a bad thing either as it makes things run easier. It is a time saver when looking for things and carrying on day to day routines.
    But here is where I go overboard...or think where this Chocolate place will help me as well.
    I had a hip scope done last November...I was laid up for a bit and man, I have to settle down and let the house get messy, bit unorganized or clean...but wanting this and being able to do this was another story. Fast forward a few months ahead, I had to have another surgery on my hip beginning of May which was going to lay me up for 6 weeks plus is where I am at now. Let me tell ya if anyone needs to be organized for being laid up for a long time I am your woman...haha - I knew what I needed on my main floor to get me through the day with everything within my reach. But again, I am at this point that I need to slow down, not be the organizer I want to be and let things go a bit in the house. It really is not that dirty etc....and I should be ok with some papers or flyers sitting out, crumbs on the counter, rugs not straight, furniture crooked…but I am not. I have gone as far this time as to hire a cleaner to come in and look after my place and get it clean…I am happy that the bathrooms and floor are being done, but still last week was left with the feeling, that it wasn’t as clean as I would of done it, she didn’t put things where back in an organized fashion as I think they should be.
    I become overwhelmed with things out of order, unorganized and find it hard to get other things that need priority. So with that for now…I think I need to take the step and wake up each day saying “I don’t need to have my life/house perfectly organized...do what I am able
    Colleen

    not sure how to totally post..so just posted anonymous..but did sign my name

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen,
    I can relate to how you must be feeling right now. Three years ago I was physically laid up for 5 months due to a broken foot which also required surgery. Although this is not comparable to hip surgery, the fact remains the same that we are two women who expect organization and tidines who then became dependent on others for help, or we had to stare at the mess. Talk about trying to overcome our perfectionism- this isn't baby step, this must feel as though you have jumped off the side of the cliff!
    I know that I tried to keep my mind as active as I could. I read so many books, watched so many educational tv shows, took an online course, anything to keep busy. Keep networking with people- either online, on the phone, let people come to visit and take care of you (they honestly won't mind the mess, and if they do, tell them to clean it up for you!)
    I completely agree with you as well when you said that being organized helps routines to run more smoothly- this can apply to a busy family, your job, running a business, etc. Because of that positive reinforcement we receive when our lives are running smoothly, we are encouraged and rewarded by ourselves and others to continue to be the "organizer". How many times have you been at a meeting or function and heard the line "We knew that if we asked Kathy to organize our event that it would run smoothly".
    Last weekend we were told not to beat ourselves up over our perfectionsim, that it has carried us far. What we need to strive for is "excellence" in what we do, not "perfection" which are two different things when you put some soul searching thought into it. Also, we need to recognize how our need for perfection is affecting other areas in our life in a negative way. One woman gave the perfect classic example. She said that she hosts her family Thanksgiving every year, plans a gourmet menu, supplies the drinks, makes sure that everyone is comfortable. BUT, she has yet to enjoy a visit with any of her relatives at these gatherings, or to sit through an entire meal without interruption. She usually ends the day exhausted with a pounding headache. The whole purpose of the day was to get the family together, enjoy the company, to visit.
    Know that there are people out there who are willing to get you through this time Colleen- and let them fold the laundry for you.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Joanne,
    I cried reading your blog. Although this was written a year ago. Tears filled my eyes as your story hits so close to home. Perfectionism can be a positive thing but can also be a bad thing too.. i too am super harsh on myself so i don't take criticism very easily--because i've already set standards so high that anyone elses criticism just brings me down. I would love to find out what kind of conference you went too, i'm hoping i can get help. love your blog and your sincerity come across each heart felt sentence. your story is so uplifting... so there is hope for another perfectionist here miles and miles away.

    ReplyDelete