Monday, December 7, 2009

The Impetus

"When the chocolate comes, your whole life will change. It's the impetus." (p. 42, Lamb). This quote is taken from a book that I am currently reading called Julia's Chocolates by Cathy Lamb. I admit that the only reason I picked this particular book off the shelf at Chapters was because the word "chocolate" was in the title. The green cover with the picture of the wedding veil hanging from a tree branch also caught my eye. But, as I read the synopsis on the back cover, I was drawn to the story as well. It will be added to my growing collection of chick lit books that portrays a woman who finds herself struggling to survive amidst the chaos of her life. This story has a bit of eccentric humour with the addition of peculiar Aunt Lydia: the obviously strong character of Aunt Lydia draws the strength and courage out of what seemed, at the beginning, like the weakened Julia.

I believe that things happen for a reason. I also believe that we are drawn to things, to moments, to events in our lives at exactly the right time for a reason. Why did I pick a book by an author that I had never heard of? Why did I actually buy the book? Why did that particular quote steal my breath from me when I first read it? Why did I keep reading that quote, and then fold the page down so I would always know where to find it? My blog, these posts, these pieces of my life that I have openly shared with so many of you have all been the chocolate that came into my life at a time when I needed an impetus; I needed to change. It has been almost six months since I wrote my first blog post. There are weeks that I have found it difficult to write and to share. But the words I have received in return from the many followers that take the time to read about one ordinary woman's life have inspired me to keep writing.

So what has happened since the Chocolate of Women has come into my life.
* I got a job in a school that I called my chocolate school long before I came up with the idea for the Chocolate of Women.
* I began the process of re-educating myself in the ever-changing field of education. The passion for my teaching surged back into my life.
* I ran my first 10km race. (emphasis on the word "first")
* I have connected with so many women who motivate me in ways that are unknown to them, but are small celebrations to me.
* I have met a man who inspires me to be more, who challenges me with his sharp mind, but also lets me be me.
* I have confronted some of my personal fears in some of my most tumultuous relationships. (this one is a continual work in progress)

I know that we tend to get caught up in the drama of our own lives, and it is easy to hide out from what the rest of the world is living. My writing, and the sharing of it, has helped me to open up the everyday, ordinary lives of women. It has helped me to realize that we are all very extraordinary in our own way. It has made me more aware of the similarities of our fears, our desires, and our dreams. I now know that I'm not the only mother who is frantically waiting for that text message on a Saturday night from the teenager who can't seem to read the time on that same cell phone that sends thousands of messages a month. I know that I am not the only woman who scrambles madly to pick up dirty laundry, and tidy an untidy house when the door bell rings. I know that many other women fear the state of their hair at the end of a hot, humid day. I know that many women love to share with their friends, and feel the chocolate comfort over that shared cup of coffee.

My life has changed, and it will continue to change. Will chocolate be the impetus? Maybe, along with many of the other "chocolates" of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment