Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bought!!!

Just as the selling of my Seadoo provided me with a sense of relief combined with an exhilarating high of "good riddance", this past Sunday the purchase of my new road bicycle brought the contrasting high of "welcome to my new life". It may seem as though this retail therapy was in reaction to my bad week. I would be lying if I didn't admit that the endorphins were pumping when I sat on my bicycle knowing that it was soon to be at home in my garage. However, this was not an impulse purchase. A combination of the streak of warm weather, the persuasion of "my people", and the chance to add one more chocolate escape to my life led to this decision.

And now, with the addition of more chocolate, the new lingo forced new learning and expanded my vocabulary: "checking the geometry" "105 front derailer and Altegra rear derailer" "mountain set up" "hydration system" "carbon forks and carbon seat post" blah, blah, blah... Although I sounded like I was well-educated, honestly, without the crash course of bike language over the past few weeks, and the instant text messages appearing on my phone, I would have made my bike selection because it was purple. The facade I presented to the salesman evaporated very quickly as he saw me trying to relay his sales pitch via instant message. My cover blown, he patiently dictated and spelled the information for me as I sought the expert opinion of someone who wasn't working for commission.

Once the decision was made, and the pile of bike necessities grew, I was like a kid with my first bicycle. The mood of the cold, rainy weather on Sunday didn't deter me. And even though I wasn't able to take my bike with me that day, my excitement didn't diminish either. It was a day that I needed to do something just for me. I am determined to live by my new plan that I set out in my last post, and the first item on that list is to do something every day just for me. I guess the purchase of the bicycle would be considered one of the more "grandiose" things that I was referring to. But, with this latest acquisition, I will be able to fill many more days with "just for me" bike rides and tours with friends.

Once again I can revisit my "One Year From Now" list, and this time I can check off "buy a bike". And maybe, when I check it again next year, I will be planning my bike tour of Europe...with a stop in Tuscany for that cooking class!

1 comment:

  1. With your determination Joanne, I'm sure you'll combine your new bike purchase with your love to travel. I have friends who biked through the little villages in Italy and loved it. I had the unforgettable experience of biking down the side of a volcano in Hawaii, right past Tom Sellick's house. Add this one to your list. Good luck with your planning of a bike tour of Europe........sounds amazing! You certainly wouldn't have any writer's block after that kind of trip! Take Care. Debbie

    ReplyDelete